Write for The ASHA Leader
It’s a pretty simple process. Be sure to consult the general guidelines on The Leader’s news magazine style before you begin.
- Complete the Leader proposal form and send it to us. Unless you have been invited by a Leader staff member to submit a feature or story on a particular topic, we require that all new submissions be sent to us first as a proposal. Even if your manuscript is already complete, do not send it to us—you need to fill out the online proposal form first.
- The Editorial Committee will review the proposal, assessing whether its writing style and content are a good fit for the news magazine. The Committee will respond to you in one of three ways:
- Rejection. If it’s not a good fit for us, the Editorial Committee often encourages you to consider sending the piece to a better suited venue, such as a blog or perhaps a scholarly journal.
- Revision. Occasionally, the Editorial Committee will request more revisions to the proposal before making a final decision.
- Invitation. If your article is judged a good fit with The ASHA Leader, the Editorial Committee will assign a staff member to work closely with you throughout the manuscript submission process. That staff member will contact you, inviting the entire manuscript to be sent to his or her office. Please keep in mind that an invitation to send your manuscript to The Leader does not constitute an acceptance of your work. The complete manuscript will still need to be vetted and approved for publication by the Editorial Committee.
- If asked to submit a complete manuscript, you must follow our Guidelines for Writers before submitting it to a Leader staff member.
- When we receive your manuscript, we will edit it and The Leader’s Editorial Committee will review it. If we accept your manuscript for publication, we will send the edited version to you for review before publication.
About The Leader
Who We Are and What We Publish
Submit a Letter to the Editor
Submit an Item for the People Column